8/19/2006

hanging up the apron


well, tonight i hung up my waitress apron, though knowing me probably not for the last time. last february i quit my full time job and took a part time job at a church (www.heritageqc.com) b/c i felt the Lord directing me too. actually i had told God in a previous conversation that i finally got it and if he'd open the door i'd walk. when he opened the door, i didn't think i could really go back and "clarify" with God that the door had to include comparable pay and hours and benefits. so to make ends meet i picked up my apron and headed out to bring quality service with a friendly smile.

here are a few things that i will not miss:
- people who order with their mouth full of crackers thus sharing their abundance of mush with me both visually and artistically on my shirt,
- people who are not ready to order after numerous trips to the table, but then become irrate when you are busy attending to other tables, because they are now ready to order,
- going home smelling of sweat, blue cheese and garlic dressing combined with au jus, lemon and smoke,
- finding your tables dirty, customers wanting water, and silverware missing and realizing that the busboy is MIA,
- customers who demand particular service - special attention and care combined with multiple trips but who do not provide a tip commesiarate with service, - moody cooks.

here are some things i will miss:
-customers like the ones i had last Sunday, a three top, who was taking out a couple of his older aunts and had a wheelchair and were an aboslute delight to wait on, but forgot in trying to get her out in the wheelchair to leave a tip. they called back in that night to let me know they'd be back in a couple days with a tip and this past tuesday stopped in and brought me in a ten dollar tip,
-customers like the party tonight of senior citizens that even though i messed up and even though they had to ask me for something more than once where jovial, patient and understanding and direct all at the same time,
-customers who get attached to ya, wish you well, and who when they ask you your story share a part of their life with you, encouraging you, letting you know that no matter how down you may think you are there is always hope.

i think most of all i'm going to miss the girls/women i waitress with. i've worked at this restuarant 5 times since 1994 and i really feel like i made an impact, like my presence will be missed, like i filled a void. of course, knowing me i'll be back at some point, the challenge of fast cash and quick service to people fits my personality: a people person with anti-social tendencies. :)

4 comments:

Nate said...

Jessica,

I am glad you are coming to the church - you so gifted and I believe God is going to use you greatly. Glad to have you as my friend and as a partner in ministry. Let's rock the quad cities:)

nate

Jessica said...

thanks nate! you are a breath of fresh air (or just the sound of a dog barking!)

jess

Anonymous said...

Your customers will miss you too. Every time we go in the restaurant, someone has a good comment about you.

Rebekah said...

Sis,
You touch so many lives wherever you go and wherever you've been. I'm sure you have left a void, but I'm sure you're filling one where you are too!
God is going to use you for some really awesome things!

Besides, you've got to have a record with your restaurant - like the comeback kid or something! :) Ha!