8/30/2006

selecting leaders

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on leadership, perhaps out of expectation (i.e. God's faithful response to our choice to be obedient). Perhaps b/c as I move more in sync with God I am learning just what my specific gifts are, my "fit", if you will.

Perhaps b/c I sense a need for leadership in the position that I am about to step into. This ministry is need of leadership, someone with a clear vision of the future, rooted in hope that with God all things are possible. The ministry needs encouragement and love, those serving need to be boosted and cared for; it needs someone willing to grow it with daily nourishment and stay for the long haul. The ministry needs enthusiasm, a spark of joy. And it needs, desperately needs, leaders.

In Bill Hybels' book, Courageous Leadership, he talks about his criteria selection: The Three C's of Team Selection. They are Character, Competence, and Chemistry. He looks for leaders whose relationship with Christ is secure and growing. He wants people committed to pursuing growth in Christ and that display characterisitics like honesty, willingness to learn, humility, good work ethic, etc. He looks for people who have the ability to do the job and not just someone with the desire. He wants someone who has the gift of teaching if looking for a teacher. And he looks at chemistry, how well does this person mesh with the group that is already assembled. This has got me thinking. What is it that I am looking for when looking to recruit leaders?

It is true I don't want just anyone, yet I want to be open that leaders are built not born and they have to learn and develop somewhere. I want to keep in mind that I am not Bill Hybels running a mega church, but an Early Childhood Ministry. I also, though, don't want to settle simply b/c I "need" to or "can". There has to be a standard, that includes and builds and empowers but that sets a bar of excellence. It's God's accountability and His grace infused. So what do you think are the essentials, the must-haves to be a leader in ministry, especially ministry designed around children/youth? What is it you look for? What is it that you just can't live without in a leader?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you will find leaders because you have always inspired commitment from others - I think of Justus, Andrea, Barbara Rose - to name only a few - who look up to you and have been ready to get involved in what you were involved in.

kate debaene said...

i think a leader needs to be the first one to admit that they don't know it all; to admit when they are wrestling with god; to admit that quite often they are just trying to make it; and to admit that the only reason they are in the position of leadership that they are in is because god is restoring them - along with all of us - to what he originally created us to be. i think they need to embrace the struggle, and realize that it is a beautiful collision of grace and humanity.

that is a great character bio of the most influential leader i know, for what it is worth. i pray that it be true in me as well.