4/10/2008

frequency - fasting moments 2

please remember to not comment - see prior post for explanation
so for the past several days i've opted off of meat and fast food. just an every other day thing on the meat. and just for two weeks on the fast food. nothing that i can't live without. but funny how suddenly when we tell our ourselves, especially our body.... when we deny ourselves something that before could so easily and quickly be within our grasp...in our control...well, suddenly we find ourselves thinking about quite frequently.

it's the proverbial reverse psychology we like to use with small children. i can't have it therefore i want it. now my days without meat, i am constantly aware that i am not having meat. i live those days with this acute, mostly subtle, awareness that i am depriving (word used very lightly here) myself of something. i pass burger king's (best jr whoppers) and mcdonald's (oh, their fries - especially when hot out of the greaser and freshly salted and slight undercooked) and am reminded instantly of what i am missing out on (a distorted reality when one considers that i am also missing out on extra poundage and gunk on my arteries).

so the thought is: how often do i spend my days living unaware of the spiritual things going on around me? am i aware this much during the day of Christ? does His presence get through the gunk on my "spiritual" arteries? how many times do i pass a sunset, a rain storm, or a person unaware of God?

what would change if i lived with a constant awareness of God? how would my interactions with others be different if i sensed His presence?

and better yet, what am i lacking because i am spend my days unaware of the lack of His presence in my life?

i created this awareness of meat and fast food. i set myself up to become aware of it.

so what would need to change in my life to create - to set myself up to be aware of the spiritual things of life?

No comments: